You may be surprised to learn that many people feel nervous or stressed leading up to or during a dental appointment. There are even some who’s anxiety goes so far as to be described as a phobia. Their fear of the dentist will lead them to do whatever they can to avoid visiting a dental office.
There are many things that can lead to dental anxiety. Some of the more common causes are:
– The fear of discomfort or pain.
– Feelings of loss of control or helplessness. Some people become anxious because they can’t see what’s going on and cannot predict what will cause discomfort.
– Embarrassment. Some people feel ashamed to have a stranger looking into their mouth, particularly if they have dental flaws.
If you experience dental fear or dental phobia, it is very important that you talk to us about it. Dr. Ray Wallace and our team can work with you to ensure your comfort when you visit our office. There are also things you can do to reduce stress and anxiety. These relaxation techniques include, but are not limited to:
– Deep breathing.
– Progressive relaxation, during which you consciously relax each muscle or area of your body one after the other.
– Distracting yourself. You can bring music and earbuds with you.
To learn more and to schedule a visit with our dentist in Richmond Hill, Georgia, contact Ford Avenue Family Dentistry at (912)756-2936.